Heavy equipment move through Harford back on schedule for Wednesday night

Nov 11, 2015

From the Baltimore Sun
By David Anderson - Contact Reporter

A two-night move of four massive pieces of power generating equipment across northern Harford County to southern Pennsylvania will be attempted Wednesday night after being postponed in late October.

The Maryland State Highway Administration, which is overseeing the Harford County leg of the trip, announced the move Tuesday.

The Barnhart Crane & Rigging company, which is headquartered in Memphis, Tenn., will move the equipment with support from transportation officials and law enforcement in both states. The equipment will be moved along state roads which will be closed as the vehicles proceed along the routes at 5 mph, according to an SHA travel advisory.

"This thing is like a rolling convoy," agency spokesperson Charlie Gischlar said.

The equipment, which includes two generators and two turbines that each weigh about 500,000 pounds, will be placed on special tractor-trailer trucks called hydraulic dolly suspension transporters, according to Barnhart's website.

It is bound for the York Energy Center in Peach Bottom, Pa., according to SHA officials. The York Energy Center is a complex of two natural gas-fired power plants operated by Calpine, a Houston-based energy firm.

The second power plant is under construction and is scheduled to be finished by the summer of 2017, according to the Calpine website.

The move was scheduled for Oct. 26-28, but it had to be postponed after issues arose involving the reported weight of the equipment, which ended up being about 50,000 pounds more than Barnhart originally told SHA officials.

The move had to be postponed while the Barnhart crews repositioned the loads, Gischlar told The Aegis after the postponement was announced.

The move is scheduled to start at 9 p.m. Wednesday, when the convoy leaves the Vulcan Materials quarry near Havre de Grace and travels west on Route 155. The equipment, which was manufactured in South Korea, was shipped to the Dundalk Marine Terminal and then moved by barge to Havre de Grace.

Maryland State Police and Maryland Transportation Authority Police will "drag" traffic on I-95 to slow it down and stop it to allow the convoy to cross the interstate and then continue on Route 155, according to the SHA advisory.

The first part of the move is scheduled to last through 4:15 a.m. Thursday as the convoy travels along Route 161, across Deer Creek, then south on Route 1 to a staging area near the intersection of Route 1 and Route 136, according to the advisory.

The convoy is scheduled to leave the staging area at 9 p.m. Thursday and travel along Route 136 to Route 440 to Route 543 and then north on Route 165 to a staging area at the Mason-Dixon Line, arriving at approximately 4:30 a.m. Friday, according to the advisory.

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation will then take over managing the move to Peach Bottom.

"If you have to be traveling on those routes at that prescribed time, I would suggest avoiding [the convoy] and finding a local alternate route," SHA's Gischlar said.

Read More

Back To News